An “Outreach” Committee – formerly the “Missions and Outreach” – continues with ongoing activities, some right here on Salt Spring, and others nationally and internationally. The Outreach Committee seeks to engage through increasing awareness and participation by parish members and others expressing the love of Jesus to our local community and beyond through:
- monthly announcements to inform our congregation of actions and impact of the Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund (PWRDF) of the Anglican Church in Canada - click here - and other missions and outreach organizations,
- special presentations to the congregation and our wider community minimally bi-annually, and
- exploring media presentations of our work to engender interest/participation from others.
In the past and ongoing we have engaged in local initiatives such as:
- strategically offering SMILE cards to homeless and others in need on Salt Spring,
- contributing to the establishment of the Salt Spring laundry and shower facilities,
- reaching our local homeless folk through sharing with other churches in delivering a community meal program, and
- engaging with others in our community to provide resources to address mental illness issues, etc.
We continue to raise and provide financial assistance for national and international crises such as flood and drought relief, earthquake disasters, potable water supplies to first nations communities, etc. through the PWRDF of the Anglican Church in Canada, and through other specific programs where we know funds will be well-used and managed.
We seek to be positively visible in our Salt Spring Island community as caring activists expressing God’s love wherever there is social inequity.
If you would like to engage with the other like-minded members of the parish in outreach, please contact the committee chair Lynda Turner, Rev Gyllian or the church office.