1982-1991 The 10th Decade of the Parish
St. Mark's Church est. 1892
St. Mary's Church est. 1894
St. George's Church est. 1940
Meeting with Vancouver architectural firm of Downs/Archambault.
Annual Rector's Report: "Are our facilities ... adequate? Can we upgrade what we have?"
Annual Wardens' Report (Claus Andress & Meg Hodges): "Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could improve this situation?"
* The harbour property on the opposite corner to St. George's Church, which the Rev. Peter McCalman, Rector of St. George's from 1972-1979, had the foresight to purchase and have levelled as a parking lot for the parish.
Bishop Barry met with Parish Council to approve a series of goals.
The Facilities Development Committee (FDC) chair, Ernst Kramer, picked up goal #11: "options ... range from upgrading the present church and hall (St. George's), moving the church to the other side of the road*, building a new church and hall ... ".
On a very hot day in June, the Rt. Rev'd. Barry Valentine, retired Bishop of the Diocese of Rupert's Land, along with his loving wife, Carolyn Evans, came to Salt Spring direct from a posting in Baltimore, Maryland.